Anyone in the United States or anywhere else in the world who doesn’t thin that the US is fully enaged in Asia is wrong. Now of course we’d like to see more bilateral trade and more corss-cultural exchanges, but America is taking Asia seriously and some recent staggering statistics from The East-West Center show just how important Asia is to America. The highlights are below.
The US in Asia – A Story of Numbers:
- 28% of U.S. goods and 27% of U.S. services exports go to Asia;
- 32% of U.S. jobs from exports depend on exports to Asia;
- 64% of international students in the United States are from Asia – contributing $14 billion to the U.S. economy;
- 8.5 million visitors from Asia contribute $41 billion to the US economy; and
- 39 states send at least a quarter of their exports to Asia.
Clearly America needs to keep nurturing this special relationship as it pays economic dividends to both partners.